Tangy & Spicy Mixed Bean Salad
Serves: 4 Preparation: 10 minutes
- 400g can chickpeas, drained
- 400g can butter beans, drained
- 400g can cannelloni beans, drained
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp red onion, finely chopped
- ½ green pepper, deseeded and chopped
- ½ yellow or orange pepper, deseeded and chopped
- ½ red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped mint leaves
- 2 tbsp Hibiscus Lily tangy and spicy date and tamarind chutney
- 2 tbsp oil of your choice (extra virgin olive oil, toasted sesame seed oil, walnut oil)
- Juice of half lemon
- sea salt according to taste
- coarsely ground black pepper according to taste
- Tip all the canned beans into a large sieve and rinse well under cold water tap and add to a large bowl.
- Mix together garlic, onion, green pepper, yellow pepper, red pepper, coriander leaves, mint leaves and add to the bowl with the beans.
- Mix together tangy and spicy chutney, oil, lemon juice, coriander leaves, mint leaves, sea salt and pepper in a small bowl and add to the large bowl with beans.
- Mix well and serve garnished with a few coriander and mint leaves.
You can also add toasted seeds or toasted chopped nuts of your choice.
This healthy dish makes a great side dish or a starter (add cheese of your choice cut into cubes). It is quick to make and adds colour and variety to a summer buffet or a barbeque, and makes a good accompaniment to pastry based appetisers with cocktails.