Carrot Cake with a Twist
Serves: 12 Preparation: 60 minutes
- 150 ml Sunflower Oil
- 200 g light brown caster Sugar
- 3 medium Eggs, beaten
- 150g grated organic Carrots
- 100g mixed Cranberries and Raisins
- 150g Hibiscus Lily Date and Tamarind Chutney (mild, tangy or hot)
- 200g self-raising Flour
- 1tsp ground Cinnamon
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 8” or 9” cake pan
- Preheat oven to 180c or 160c for fan ovens.
- In a large bowl mix sugar and oil well. Pour beaten eggs onto the sugar mix and lightly mix with a spoon
- In a mini blender blend the chutney to a smooth paste and stir into the sugar and egg mixture.
- Stir in the grated carrots.
- Mix cranberries and golden raisins with all the dry ingredients and add to the wet mix, stir with a spoon until mixed.
- Pour the runny batter into the tin and bake for 35-40 minutes. Check after 30 minutes as ovens do vary. The cake should be well risen and springy; check with a knife to make sure it’s cooked inside. When cooked, turn out onto a wire rack.
- When the cake is cold, coat well with cream cheese icing or drizzle fondant icing over it or you can eat the delicious cake as it is with tea or coffee.
Note: Tamarind makes the cake moist and keeps it moist a bit longer than a carrot cake baked with the chutney.